Monday, July 11, 2011

Será yo? O Serás tu?

It took learning a new language for me to realize one key element of the “southern” variety of English I grew up speaking: we communicate in ‘–isms’, regional sayings of sorts. Down here, south of the Mason-Dixon, you say things like “built like a brick shit house” when something is sturdy and  “more stubborn than a mule” when someone’s being thick-headed (which in and of itself is another –ism). I’m not really sure why, since now a days you don’t really see outhouses anymore, be them brick or wooden.  And when was the last time you saw a mule walking down the street--of his own free will or being pulled by a frustrated owner? The fact that we continue to use these –isms without any personal basis for using them (I’m speaking for the rest of you, I have used a brick outhouse, and they are the way to go) just proves how deeply our culture is reflected in our language—or is it the other way around?

The point I’m making is we don’t communicate in words as much as sayings. These –isms, are a form of cultural jargon that makes a New Yorker seem to be speaking a different language to a North Carolinian; Throw a British guy in and we’re both confused. How does one effectively translate a cultural saying (--ism), and can it even be done? Possibly. I propose that true understanding of a language can only be accomplished once you have experienced the other language’s culture. Out of cultural context, language cannot be understood; it can only be guessed at. As the Director of Peace Corps In-Service Training so eloquently put it for us as we began our lessons of the Spanish language, “If you translate Spanish word-for-word in your head as you go you’ll never understand the people of Peru. You have to translate the feeling of words, you must see beyond the words and get to the idea at their core.”

Here’s where the tricky part gets added to the mix: does your culture affect your language or does your language reflect your culture? Which influenced which, and to what extent does the language we speak form the way we think about the world? Does language influence the way we rationalize our actions? With the help of Lera Boroditsky and her article Lost in Translation that ran in the Wall Street Journal in July 2010 we will begin our journey into exploring the extent to which our native language forms how we think (and visa versa) and possibly act.

In my next post I will explore the cultural-language studies that are mentioned in Boroditsky’s article and their implications to the idea of a dynamic culture-language relationship.

Please feel free to add/contribute to the exploration process along the way. Productive comments are always welcome and appreciated to expand my thinking and views on the subject, but please, let’s try and keep it civil and clean.

-J

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad that there is someone else out there who understands these '-isms.' I was born in Florida, but grew up hearing the regional phrases of my Ohio-born mother. I'm not really sure what dialect of '-isms' I speak, but my friends in Kentucky don't understand. When I say things like "She was as mad as a cat in a burlap sac," I don't get responses, just confused looks. It will be interesting to discover the cultural and language influences of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jen,

    Being from California, it definitely is interesting to see how different people from other states speak. We don't really use "isms" in California, so thank you for sharing this perspective that I really never thought of. The question you bring up about language and culture is an interesting one, in that it makes me thing of the chicken and the egg scenario. Its a tough one and I look forward to you exploring this question further. Also, one interesting point is that is similar to the US, different locations in Mexico speak Spanish different. Someone who would be in Mexico City speaks quite different from someone in Oaxaca, Merida, or Guadalajara. Maybe in future blogs you could explore how other cultures outside of the US deal with language. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Also, your point reminds me of how Spanish is spoken quite differently throughout different parts of Mexico (sorry this sentence didn't make sense in the previous comment I made, so I re-wrote it to clarify what I meant)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've long been intrigued by this topic, so I'm excited to read future blog posts! The idea of how language shapes thinking and vice versa is a powerful one, especially in terms of education. As you point out, the way we speak affects us on so many levels: not only in the way we view our own and others' cultures, but also in our actions, and even in the fundamental ways in which we view the world. Here's a REALLY interesting article about language and thinking that I read a few months back. It might be helpful as you explore these topics: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/magazine/29language-t.html?scp=9&sq=language%20thinking&st=cse

    ReplyDelete
  5. VEry interesting! Immediately I wonder if the contexts in which we use language are affected by culture. I am more likely to use isms in an english class than an anthropology class, and more likely still to use them out of a scholastic environment entirely. Is the culture of academe driving that, or am I merely externalizing personal beliefs and behaviors? Intriguing indeed, friend. Intriguing indeed. I look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the '-isms,' Jenny. I'm interested to know what you think of Doug Lemov's ideas about language. In the book we are reading for our methods course, he refers to a "language of opportunity" (aka what has traditionally been "standard" English). He says we should insist that students speak this way in our classrooms. Watching the video clip where the teacher makes the kid stop saying "gots" and say "has" really made me cringe. I'm interested to keep hearing more about language in your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being from Alabama, I can also relate to this "-isms" talk. After reading Sarah's comment I remembered another one about "being as scared as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs". I also thought back to when I was learning German in college. There would be certain phrases that when I translated would make entirely no sense, but the native speakers would understand perfectly. The meaning was "lost in translation" so to speak. I'd love for you to discuss your opinions on the implications that these topics might have on say an ESL or foreign language class in a high school setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this topic of language and speech. I hope you address the concept of code-switching within cultures. When I think of the purpose of -isms, diction, grammar, and the environments in which we use them, I think about how our speech reflects the obligations and expectations in a particular setting. I would love to read what you uncover about that concept.

    ReplyDelete